Cry of Heaven 1972


Cry of Heaven 1972


Dr Agha Inamullah Khan

Had you no fears!
Executing me my dears


Father and uncles
Brothers and cousins

All of you came,
and with one go
Pulled your triggers,
you took my soul
Did your  hands not tremble?

Dear brother
Raising the gun at your own sister
Had you no sense!
Had you no love!
How could you be so cruel sweet cousin?
Dragging your childhood friend's coffin
How I begged all of you, oh! dear cha cha
I went with with him in "Shariat Nikkah"
But none of you ever listened to me
Not even you! Daddy
You were my only hope
With you I felt so safe
But you!
You left there no sign
Not even that of my grave
I was not just only me
I was carrying a new flowerer being nourished inside me
How could you bear to see me die?
Mommy thinks I am still alive
Please tell her the truth, do not lie
If to love
And being loved
Is such a crime
Then I curse you all
One by one
You too will have your time.




This poem was sent to a Poetry competition on BBC Radio back in 1985, and it made it to short list of Best 50 out of more than three thousand poems received from around the World. It reflects still ongoing tradition of Karoo Kari (honor killings of women) in Sindh & Baluchistan in Pakistan. The author claimed to have written it through using Ouija board talking to the spirit of one such victim. It’s a true story. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ختم نبوت قانون ۽ زنده ڀٽو

غريب سالگره ڇونه ملهائيندا آهن

BATTLE FOR MEDINA Al SANI